About Richard S. Lord, Ph.D.
A brief biography of professional activities:
After receiving his B.S. in Chemistry, Dr. Lord earned his Ph.D. in Biochemistry from the University of Texas followed by postdoctoral fellowships at the Clayton Foundation Biochemical Institute, the University of Arizona, and the National Institutes of Health (Institute of Arthritis and Metabolic Diseases). He served as Chairman of Biochemistry and Clinical Nutrition for 10 years at Life College, during which he maintained an active practice of clinical nutrition consulting. From 1989 to 2012 he served as Chief Science Officer and directed the development of new testing methodologies and innovative laboratory report designs at Metametrix and Genova Diagnostic Laboratories. He teaches and studies new ways of assessing relationships between nutrients, toxicants and cellular controls and their integration into clinical practice. His publications include several books and numerous peer-reviewed journal articles on various topics. He continues to teach courses on clinical metabolic assessments in multiple university graduate programs.
Ph.D. Chemistry Univ. of Texas Austin, TX 1970
B.S. Chemistry Ga. State Univ. Atlanta, GA 1965
- 2017 – Present Arrowhead Bioscience, 110 Pueblo Ct Unit 1014, Waleska, GA 30183
- 2009 – Present University of Bridgeport, Human Nutrition Institute, 30 Hazel St., Bridgeport, CT.
Instructor, MS in Human Nutrition
- 2015 – Present Texas Chiropractic College, 5912 Spencer Hwy. Pasadena, TX 77505
Instructor, Nutrition & Functional Medicine Postgraduate Studies
- 1989 – 2014 Genova/Metametrix, Inc., 84 Peachtree Rd, Ashville, NC 28803
- 2008 – Chief Science Officer, Metametrix Institute & Genova Diagnostics
- 1999 – Director, Science & Education
- 1997 – Chief Information Officer
- 1989 – VP, R & D & Technical Lab. Dir
- 1981 – 1989 Life University, 1269 Barclay Cir., Marietta, GA 30061
Professor and Chairman, Department of Chemistry
- 1987 – 1988 Kennesaw State University, P. O. Box 444, Marietta, GA 30061
Instructor of Chemistry
- 1981 – 1989 Private practice of clinical nutrition counseling associated with physicians
(W. McKenzie, MD; R. Lee, MD; W. Douglass, MD)
- 1977 – 1981 Horizon Laboratories, Inc., Atlanta, GA
President & Clinical Laboratory Director (Founder)
- 1974 – 1976 Doctor’s Data, Inc., W. Roosevelt Rd., West Chicago, IL
- 1973-1974 National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
Staff Fellow – Institute of Arthritis and Metabolic Diseases
- 1970 – 1973 University of Arizona, Department of Chemistry, Tucson, AZ
NIH Post-Doctoral Fellow
- Clayton Foundation Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Univ. of Texas, 1970
- University of Arizona, National Institutes of Health Post Doctoral Fellowship, 1970
- NIH Scientist Fellowship, National Institute of Arthritis and Metabolic Disease, 1973
- Clinical Laboratory Director License, 1976
- Director of Research, S. Acad. Clin. Nutr., 1980-1984
- National Board of Chiropractic Examiners Test Selection Committee, 1982-86
- Diplomat, American Clinical Nutrition Board, 1987
- Editorial Board, Today’s Chiropractic, 1988
- Georgia Nutrition Council Member, 1988
- The Magic Foundation for Children’s Growth, Outstanding Medical Service Award, 1996
- Functional Medicine Update, Clinician of the Month, September, 2008
- ANA Nutritional Genomics Advisory Panel, August, 2018
Clinical Laboratory Methods Development and Implementation
- Peptide synthesis and protein secondary structure by CD and ORD
- Human protein isolation and characterization
- Trace elements in blood, urine, and hair by ICP/MS, ICP/OA, GFAA, and Hg/Cold Vapor
- Fatty acids in erythrocytes and plasma by GS/MS
- Organic acids in urine by GC/MS and LC/MS-MS
- Amino acids in plasma and urine by HPLC
- IgG antibody assays and automation of plate reader data
- COBAS FARA/MIRA data acquisition and user interface
- Fecal microbes by targeted, fixed cycle, quantitative fluorescence PCR
- Lord RS, Cox DJ, Optical activity of simple peptides. I. Glycine oligopeptides with internal L-alanyl or L-glutamyl residues, Biopolymers, 12, 2359 (1973).
- Lord RS, Gubensek F, Rupley JA, Insulin self-association, spectrum changes and thermodynamics, Biochemistry, 12(22), 4385 (1973).
- Larsen WB, Lord RS, Miller JJ, Cellular chemical analysis of hair, J Am Ost Assoc, 74(2) (1974)
- Gershengorn MCS, Cheng RE, Lippoldt RE, Lord RS, Robbins J, Characterization of human thyroxine-binding globulin. Evidence for a single polypeptide chain, J Biol Chem,, 252(23), 8713-18 (1977).
- Lord RS, Trawick WG, Trace element patterns in hair from outpatient clinical laboratory data, The Second Human Hair Symposium (1978).
- Lord RS, Hair minerals as predictors of fast and slow oxidizing metabolic types, Today’s Chiropractic, 11(3), 109 (1982).
- Lord RS, Some thoughts on nutrition, Todays Chiropractic, 11(4) (1982).
- Lord RS, Clinical Nutrition for Chiropractic Sciences, Life U Press (1985).
- Lord RS, The Research of the Southern Academy of Clinical Nutrition. An Overview, Proceedings, S Acad Clin Nutr, St. Augustine, FL (1986).
- Bralley JR, Lord RS, Treatment of chronic fatigue with specific amino acid supplementation, J Appl Nutr 45(3), 74-78 (1994).
- Bralley, J. and R. Lord, Urinary organic acids profiling for assessment of nutrient deficiencies, gut dysbiosis, and toxicity, in Textbook of Natural Medicine, Murray PA, Editor, 1998, Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh. p. 229 – 237.
- Lord RS, Bralley JA, Fatty acid metabolism, in Textbook of Natural Medicine, Murray PA, Editor. 1998, Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh. p. 723-732.
- Lord RS, Bralley JA, Fatty acid profiling, in Textbook of Natural Medicine, Murray PA, Editor. 1998, Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh. p. 135-142.
- Lord RS, Dysbiosis metabolic markers, The Internist, 20-24, March (1998).
- Lord RS, Bralley JA, Organics in urine. Assessment of gut dysbiosis and toxemia. Nutritional Perspectives, 20(3), 25-32 (1998).
- Lord RS, Bralley JA, Clinical applications of organic acids in urine, Nutritional Perspectives, 21(4), 23-31 (1999).
- Bakowska E, Lord RS, The room-temperature digestion of blood samples for analysis by ICP-MS, No 1039, The Pitsburgh Conference Proceedings (1999).
- Lord RS, Amino acids against disease, Georgia Chiro, December, 10-11 (1999).
- Lord RS, Organic acids in urine, in The All in One Guide to ADD & Hyperactivity, Ali E, Garshowitz D, Hui F, Levinson HN, Lyon M, Marshall D, AGES, New York (2001).
- Lord RS, Bongiovanni B, Bralley AJ, Estrogen metabolism and the diet-cancer connection: rationale for assessing the ratio of urinary hydroxylated estrogen metabolites. Altern Med Rev, 7(2): p. 112-29 (2002).
- Lord RS, Bralley JA, Polyunsaturated fatty acid-induced antioxidant insufficiency, Integrative Medicine, 5(1) 38-44 (2003)
- Lord RS, Burdette CK, Bralley JA, Significance of urinary tartaric acid, Clin Chem, 51 (3), 672-73 (2005)
- Bralley JA, Lord RS, Fatty acid profiling, in Textbook of Natural Medicine, Pizzorno, J and Murray, M, Editors. 2005, Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh. p.189-198.
- Bralley JA, Lord RS, Urinary organic acids profiling for assessment of functional nutrient deficiencies, gut dysbiosis, and toxicity, in Textbook of Natural Medicine, Pizzorno, J and Murray, M, Editors. 2005, Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh. p. 285-298.
- Verdon, CP, Bralley JA, Lord RS, Urinary porphyrins for the detection of heavy metal and toxic chemical exposure, in Textbook of Natural Medicine, Pizzorno, J and Murray, M, Editors. 2005, Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh. p. 299-304.
- Bralley JA, Lord RS, Fatty acid metabolism, in Textbook of Natural Medicine, Pizzorno, J and Murray, M, Editors. 2005, Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh. p.935-944.
- Ritz BW and Lord RS, Case study: The effectiveness of a dietary supplement regimen in reducing IgGmediated food sensitivity in ADHD, Altern Ther, May/June 2005, VOL. 11, NO. 3, 72.
- Lord, RS Autistic therapies focused by laboratory data. Part I: Organic acids, Nutrition Practitioner, 6 (3), 1- 7(2005).
- Lord, RS and J.A. Bralley, Fatty Acid Profiling, in Textbook of Natural Medicine, P.a. Murray, Editor, 2006, Churchill Livingstone: St. Louis. p. 189-198.
- Lord, RS and J.A. Bralley, Fatty Acid Metabolism, in Textbook of Natural Medicine, P.a. Murray, Editor, 2006, Churchill Livingstone: St. Louis. p. 935-944.
- Lord RS, D-Lactic aciduria associated with age-related malabsorption, Nutrition Practitioner, Spring, 2007.
- Bralley JA, David RM and Lord RS, DNA Detection of Gut Microbiota, Advancing Routine Characterization of Microbial Populations, The Townsend Letter, Jan (2008).
- Lord RS, Bralley JA. Clinical applications of urinary organic acids. Part I: Detoxification markers. Altern Med Rev., 13(3):205-215 (2008).
- Lord RS, Bralley JA. Clinical applications of urinary organic acids. Part 2. Dysbiosis markers. Altern Med Rev,. 13(4):293-307 (2008).
- Co-Editor & Co-author, The Metametrix Handbook, Metametrix Institute, Duluth (2009).
- Lord RS, Mettlesome Mercury: Toxicity vs Exposure. Integrative Medicine: A Clinician’s Journal, 8(1), Feb/Mar, (2009).
- Lord RS, Knowing when aggressive mercury detoxification is needed, Academy of Comprehensive Integrative Medicine, Volume 2, No. 5, (2011).
- Brady DM, Bralley JA, Lord RS and Mullin GE, Alternative Laboratory Testing for Gastrointestinal Disease in Integrative Gastroenterology, Oxford, New York (2011).
- Lord RS, C Nelson-Dooley, C Morris and JA Bralley, Weekly Biological Variability of Urinary Organic Acids, N Am J Med Sci, Vol 5 (3), (2012).
- Lord RS, DM Tuttle, DS Cantor, Adult bile acid amino transferase deficiency, Am J Case Reports, 10;15:63-8.(2014).
- Lord RS, Long-term Cycles of Urinary Pyroglutamic Acid in Healthy Humans. Am J Phys (Endocrine), Vol. 4 (4), 1-4 e12706 (2016).
- Lord RS, Biochemistry Laboratory Manual, Life U Press (1985).
- Bralley AJ, Lord RS, Laboratory Evaluations in Molecular Medicine. Nutrients, Toxicants, and Cell Controls, Inst Adv Mol Med, Norcross (2002).
- Roberts, M and Lord, RS, The ION Handbook, 2005, Metametrix Clinical Laboratory, Inc., Norcross, GA.
- Lord, RS and Bralley, AJ (Editors), Laboratory Evaluations for Integrative and Functional Medicine, 2nd Ed., Metametrix Institute, Duluth (2008).
- Lord RS, Handbook of Human Nutrient Assessments, Apple iTunes – Books (2018).
- Lord RS, Paths to Health – Gut Microbes, Apple iTunes – Books (2018).
- Lord RS, Paths to Health – Organic Acids, Apple iTunes – Books (2018).
- Lord RS, Mitochondrial Retracted Hypometabolic States, IFM Faculty, Evening lecture (2019)
Presentations, Lectures, Courses
<< Back to Faculty Members
- Georgia State University, Kennesaw College and Life University, Lectures in general, organic and biochemistry and clinical nutrition during the period 1977-1990.
- Laboratory Methods for Testing Metabolic Function, National Association for Down Syndrome, Chicago, IL, 1995.
- Special Nutritional Needs in Down Syndrome, The Magic Foundation for Children’s Growth, Chicago, IL, 1996.
- Use of organic acid profiling for detecting nutrient deficiencies, East Coast Conference of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians, Danvers, MA, 1997.
- New Developments in Nutritional Testing, The International College of Applied Kinesiology, Orlando, FL, 1998.
- Dysbiosis Metabolic Markers and Functional Nutrient Deficiency Indicators, Second Annual International Congress of Bioenergetic Medicine, Orlando, FL, 1998.
- Organic acids in urine in routine clinical populations, Am Acad Env Med Conf, September 1998.
- Continuing education lectures on laboratory evaluations in nutritional medicine for the Ga. Chiro. Assoc., Jan-Nov, 2001.
- Clinical Nutrition Certification Board (Dallas) – sixteen hour course in laboratory evaluations, Los Angeles, CA, New, York, NY, Dallas, TX, Orlando, FL, 1997-2000.
- American Academy for Environmental Medicine Clinician Training Course, Interpretation of Laboratory Profiles for Amino Acids, Fatty Acids and Organic Acids, 2005.
- American Academy for Environmental Medicine Clinician Training Course, Interpretation of Laboratory Profiles for Amino Acids, Fatty Acids and Organic Acids, 2006.
- MINDD Foundation Conference, Clinical Therapies Based on Organic Acid Profile Results, Sydney, AU, 2006.
- NuBasx Clinician Training Conference, Assessing Complex, Multi-factorial Disorders, Brisbane, AU, 2006.
- MINDD Foundation Conference, Focusing Biomedical Treatments with Laboratory Data, Sydney, AU and Auckland, NZ, 2007.
- Diagnostic Insight Clinician Training Conference, Gastrointestinal Effects Revealed by DNA Probes, Melbourne, AU, 2007.
- Metametrix Clinical Laboratory Grand Rounds, Weekly presentations on topics of clinical relevance to analyte patterns from laboratory profiles, 2006 – 2008.
- Defeat Autism Now! Think Tank, Philadelphia, Quinolinic Acid and Fever – An Autism Precipitating Event, April, 2008.
- Institute for Functional Medicine International Symposium (Carlsbad, CA), Sponsored Breakfast, Update on Recent Findings for DNA Analysis of Fecal Microbiota, May, 2008.
- American Academy for Advancement of Medicine annual conference (San Diego, CA), Increasing Clinical Efficacy by Combining Organic Acid and Stool Microbial Profiling, April, 2009.
- University of Kansas Medical School, In-service training teleconference, Assessing Intestinal Microbial Status by Stool Microbial Profiling and Urinary Organic Acids, May 19, 2009.
- Institute for Functional Medicine International Symposium (Hollywood, FL), Personalized Mood Disorder Therapies Based on Patterns of Amino and Organic Acids, May, 2009.
- University of Kansas Medical School, In-service training teleconference, Customizing amino acid therapies for improved mood disorder therapies, June 23, 2009.
- University of South Florida, Fellowship for Anti-Aging and Regenerative Medicine, Module IV-Amino acids, fatty acids and detoxification, Boca Raton, FL, June 26-28, 2009.
- The Guild for Physiologically Based Eye Care, Clinical Affairs Efent, Atlanta, GA, Applying Laboratory Evaluations for the Eye, Jan 16, 2010.
- Society for Orthomolecular Medicine, 16th Annual Scientific Meeting, San Francisco, CA, State of the Gut: DNA Bacterial Diagnosis, Feb 27, 2010.
- XXIII Congresso Internacional De Pratica Ortomolecular E Radicais Livres, Sau Paulo, Brazil, Functional Metabolic Assessments for Clinical Practice, May 28, 2010.
- University of Bridgeport Nutrition Institute, Clinical Biochemistry 560D, A 6 credit hour graduate course for the Master of Clinical Nutrition, Spring, 2010.
- Holistic Dental Association and International Academy of Biological Dentistry and Medicine Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, Intestinal Microbial Evaluations by Molecular and Metabolic Testing, October, 2010.
- Pennsylvania Paychological Association Annual Conference – Psychopharmacology Breakfast Symposium, Harrisburg, PA, The Gut-Brain Connection From Stool and Urine Testing, June, 2010.
- Institute For Integrative Medicine Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, Measuring Environmental Chemicals and Minimizing Their Effects, January, 2011.
- The Fishman Institute “Yes We Can – Think Outside the Box” Conference, Fr. Lauderdale, FL, (1) The Gut-Brain Connection and (2) Autoimmune Disease- Things That Will Surprise You, February, 2011.
- Autism Research Institute Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA, Laboratory Evaluations To Correct Propagating Factors in Autism(s), April, 2011.
- GlacierFest Conference, Kalispell, MT, Role of Toxicants in the Quinolinate Hypothesis of Regressive Autism, August, 2011.
- Autism Research Institute: Physicians Training, Newark, NJ, Gastrointestinal Problems: Laboratory Assessment and Interpretation, April, 2012.
- Autism Research Institute: Physicians Training, Newark, NJ, A Comprehensive Approach to Prebiotics and Probiotics, April, 2012.
- Northwestern Health Sciences University, 2501 W 84th St, Bloomington, MN 55431. Lectures on Metabolism and Clinical Nutrition Assessments, 2008 – 2015.
- Human Nutrition Institute, Univ. Bridgeport, Bridgeport, CT, Lectures on Functional Medicine Nutrition, 3 sem. cr. hr. course, 2009 – 2015.
- Autism Research Institute Think Tank on Autism, Dallas, TX, Discussions with 30 other physicians and researchers re. autism etiology and therapies, April, 2015.
- Functional Medicine Journal Club, Misfolded Protein Diseases. Online forum, February 2016.
- Pan American Allergy Society, 2016 Training Course, Houston, TX, The GI Microbiome, Stress and Misfolded Proteins in Asthma and Allergy, March, 2016.
- Shanghai, China, March 3-5, 2017, 1st International conference for Functional Medicine and Genomics in Clinical Practice, Lectures on Biomarkers for Metabolic, Genomic, and Microbiomic abnormalities.
- Orlando, FL, Reversal of Chronic Diseases Lecture – Organic Acids as Guides on Paths to Health, March 2-3, 2018.