This Functional Medicine program curriculum will enable you to confidently assess and treat your patients, including the most complex of cases using lab tests, lifestyle changes and a very specific series of supplements coupled with clear patient communication techniques.
- Weekly Live Classes and Community: All classes are taught by Dr. Kalish, learn from your own patient cases and cases of your fellow students in a live weekly webinar. The sense of community you’ll develop within our online platform with your fellow practitioners is as important as the course content itself.
- Online Lectures and Case Library: Process all the new information from online lectures in your own time as you apply the knowledge to your patients, browse through over 2,000 case studies and hundreds of clinical topics to enhance your expert understanding
- Assignments, Reading, Testing, Time Commitment:Designed for the busy clinician juggling family and practice, all live classes are recorded so it’s easy to catch up if you are busy or fall behind.
Discover how interplay between lifestyle factors and functional medicine lab testing allows us to design.
- Functional Medicine Philosophy
Our functional medicine philosophy gives you a core treatment model you can apply to every new patient regardless of their symptoms.
- The 4 Horsemen
Most patients suffer from four devastating types of on-going physiological damage, which we refer to as the 4 Horsemen: Inflammation, Catabolic Physiology, Insulin Resistance and Oxidative Stress.
- Lifestyle Factors
Functional medicine treatments depend on the success of diet, exercise, sleep and meditation practices that directly address patient’s deepest underlying problems.
Understanding which nutrition supplements are required to heal each body system based on the lab results is required for any good functional medicine program.
Understand the reasons why the adrenal glands burn out and begin looking at testing and correcting for HPA axis dysfunction.
- Stress and Fatigue
See how the three main initiators of illness: emotional, dietary and inflammatory stresses accumulate and cause adrenal exhaustion often resulting in weight gain, fatigue, depression, GI issues and female hormone problems.
- How Cortisol Works
Brush up on the complex physiology behind cortisol and DHEA, with an emphasis on clinical application and patient communication skills.
- Correcting Cortisol Imbalances
We will demonstrate specific techniques for resetting HPA axis dysfunction and repairing the adrenal glands allowing you to reduce the health impact of chronic stress.
- Chronic Stress Response
From cortisol over production and adrenalin surges to outright depletion of our stress hormone reserves, we’ll cover each step of adrenal burn out and what you can do for even your most chronic patients.
Every stressed out person has a potential for thyroid issues. Explore how thyroid dysfunction relates to inflammation, autoimmunity and the 3 body systems.
Uncover the secret to solving many of your toughest cases by finding GI pathogens and eliminating them with the ideal treatment sequence.
- GI Treatments
For centuries the central tenant of naturopathic medicine has always involved improving GI status. GI lab reports form the cornerstone of functional medicine programs even for patients without obvious GI problems.
- Bacteria and Yeast
Yeast and bacterial overgrowth in the GI tract impact most patients and in this section we’ll see just how important treating yeast and bacterial overgrowth can be.
Parasites are the most often overlooked and underdiagnosed cause of health problems in our patients. Discover exactly how these infections can cause so much turmoil.
Explore the primary role of food in generating inflammation and tissue damage and how to resolve these issues using diet.
- Elimination Diet
Every bit of food we eat will be anti- inflammatory and healing or pro-inflammatory and cause damage. Learn how elimination diets play a role in reducing inflammation and healing the gut.
- Food Addiction
Compulsive overeating impacts the majority of patients in our practices. Discover how frequently food addiction problems are over looked and how to spot them early.
- Food Reactions
Most people simply don’t know what to eat and often the more they fixate on the issue the more confused they become. We’ll get to the heart of the matter so we can direct patients to the most impactful diet changes.
Learn how to interpret month-long female hormone lab tests and develop the ability to work successfully with peri- and post- menopausal female hormone lab protocols.
- Cycling Female Hormones
Being in sync with the natural hormone rhythms creates healthy hormones, while rhythm problems for cycling women can lead to infertility, migraines, anxiety depression and insomnia.
- Cyclical Augmentation Protocols
Here you have it, 40 back-to-back lab reviews from Dr. Kalish’s patient practice designed to assist you in honing your lab interpretation skills.
- Peri & Post Menopausal Program
This section reveals the ease of designing integrated programs for women ages 45-55 that are just entering menopause and how to set up post-menopausal protocols.
Understand the depth and scope of treatment options opened up to you by organic acids testing and how this can impact every aspect of your patient’s nutrient imbalances.
- Treating the 4 Horsemen
Begin the exciting step of using treatment strategies incorporating all aspects of the organic acids test based off the 4 Horsemen and see what results are now possible with even the most complex patients.
- Organic Acids Individual Markers
Start to unravel the complexity of the individual test markers, so you can get to a more advanced level of applying organic acid test results for their full effect.
- Treatment Methodologies
Discover how to integrate each of the 7 sections of the organic acids test into your protocols in a variety of clinical situations, giving you more flexibility in the use of this potent clinical tool.
Learn the truth about the prevalence of environmental toxins and how much they affect our patient’s lives by creating a myriad health complaints.
Pursue the explanations surrounding health impact of the multitude of toxins that we encounter on a daily basis from organic solvents to pesticides and neurotoxins.
- Body Burden and Genetics
We all have our own individual body burden, the amount of toxicity our body holds. Investigate the factors that contribute to our toxicity levels and how modern technology helps us understand this problem.
- Detox Nutrients
Realize the critical role of pathways for detox and the need for nutrients to support those pathways. We will discuss sulfur compounds and mobilizing substances that are required to eliminate toxins and heavy metals.
Discover how often common patient complaints like fatigue, depression and anxiety are directly related to brain health and what you can do to reverse these issues.
Where your neurotransmitters end up being located controls neurotransmission. In this section we will discuss the 4 steps of neurotransmission and how transporters shuffle brain chemicals from one place to another.
- Brain Imbalances and Depletion
A broken brain easily results from 3 types of neurotransmitter issues: nutrient deficiencies, physical and toxin generated damage type and genetics.
- The Brain Under Stress
Stress fries brain cells (remember the ad, “This is your brain on drugs?”) We’ll explore the role of monoamine neurotransmitters and which chemicals are involved when our brain is under stress.
- Neuroendocrine & GI Integration
The gut is the second brain so much so that the exact same chemicals we think with control GI function. Discover why inflammation and the microbiome are key components in brain function.
Understand how correcting fat burning and mitochondrial function leads to dramatic improvements in patient outcomes, boosting mood, energy and well-being.
- Mitochondrial Energy
Without ATP production everything we do would stop. It is a central factor in how much energy we feel, how much fat we burn and well we detox, yet his critical process is prone to disruption from oxidative stress.
- Nutrient Replacement
Understanding clinical nutrition treatment options requires a lifetime of study. This section gets you started and reviews the basics we should all be looking at including macronutrients, key vitamins and minerals.
This year-long Functional Medicine Mentorship is for licensed clinicians serious about setting up a new functional medicine practice OR for those practitioners who have been in practice for many years and are looking to streamline and simplify their clinic. You’ll walk away with the knowledge you need to treat patients effectively and can implement the tools you gain into your own practice right away!
Who’s qualified to take this course?
- AP: Acupuncturist Physician
- ARNP: Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner
- DC: Doctor of Chiropractic
- DN: Doctor of Naprapathy
- DN: Doctor of Nursing
- DDS: Dentist
- DMD: Doctor of Dental Medicine
- DO: Doctor of Osteopathy
- DOM: Doctor of Oriental Medicine
- DPM: Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (also DP)
- DVM: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
- FNP: Family Nurse Practitioner
- HHP: Holistic Health Practitioner (licensed)
- LAc: Licensed Acupuncturist
- LDN: Licensed Dietician/Nutritionist
- LE: Licensed Esthetician
- LPT: Licensed Physical Therapist
- LVN: Licensed Vocational Nurse
- MFCC: Marriage and Family Counselor
- MD: Doctor of Medicine
- NMD: Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
- ND: Doctor of Naturopathy
- NP: Nurse Practitioner
- OMD: Oriental Medical Doctor
- OD: Doctor of Optometry
- OT-R: Registered Occupational Therapist
- PA-C: Physician Assistant (Licensed)
- PharmD: Doctor of Pharmacy
- PhD: Licensed health professionals with PhD degree
- PT: Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist
- RD: Registered Dietician
- RHN: Registered Holistic Nutritionist
- RN: Registered Nurse
- RPh: Registered Pharmacist
- 2 Enrollment dates per year:
– January for course starting February 1st, 2017
– July for course starting August 1st, 2017
- 12-Months Mentorship
- Access to course material for 12-months
- Tuition: $13,490
- One-time Payment: $13,490
- 2 x Payments: $6,475 (2nd payment due in 30 days)
- 12 x Monthly Payments: $1,235